03 March 2012

Season of Nonviolence - Day 33

Welcome to Day 33 of the Season of Nonviolence – 64 Days of peaceful wisdom honoring the lives and nonviolent principles of Mohandas Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Cesar Chavez.

Nonviolence begins with learning how to be less violent and more compassionate towards ourselves. We learn by building the courage to speak and act with respect, honor and reverence for our own being.

Eleanor Roosevelt has urged, "You must do the things that you think you cannot do." Practicing these 64 Ways will challenge you to do things that you think you cannot do.



Day 33: ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

Acknowledgement helps us see the oneness of all life, that we are part of a greater purpose, and by doing so, elevate our awareness of nonviolence.  When I acknowledge someone, how could I possibly do harm toward them?   When I tell someone what a difference he or she has made in my life and acknowledge that person for being there for me, I am affirming our connectedness. 

"Acknowledge
1. a. To admit the existence, reality, or truth of.
    b. To recognize as being valid or having force or power.
2. a. To express recognition of: acknowledge a friend's smile.
    b. To express thanks or gratitude for. "

~ The American Heritage® Dictionary

Today:  In each of the four meanings quoted above, I will take time to acknowledge each person I meet or see today - including myself - in the spirit of ahimsa and forgiveness.
I will take time today to acknowledge the realm of nature, the community of life on Earth, and the Earth itself.

No comments: