22 March 2012

Season of Nonviolence - Day 52

Welcome to Day 52 of the Season of Nonviolence – 64 Days of peaceful wisdom honoring the lives and nonviolent principles of Mohandas Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Cesar Chavez.

Nonviolence begins with learning how to be less violent and more compassionate towards ourselves. We learn by building the courage to speak and act with respect, honor and reverence for our own being.

Eleanor Roosevelt has urged, "You must do the things that you think you cannot do." Practicing these 64 Ways will challenge you to do things that you think you cannot do.



Day 52: EQUALITY

Have you ever noticed the groups of people who are under-represented in your activities and lifestyle?  The Constitution of the United States says that all people are equal, and all people have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  Do you think everyone in our community is treated equally?  If not, what can you do to change this?
 
"Unless man is committed to the belief that all mankind are his brothers, then he labors in vain and hypocritically in the vineyards of equality." ~ Adam Clayton Powell, Jr.

When you recognize as your equals those with whom you disagree, true opportunities for dialogue emerge - opportunities that are denied when you think of yourself as better than, or less than, others.   Martin Buber wrote about the "I-Thou" connection, the ultimate equality, and the place from which nonviolence originates.

Today:  I will be mindful of ways that I see myself as better than others.  When I listen to people today, I will listen to them as equals; when I speak, I will speak to others as equals.  I will enrich my life by considering how I can invite different people and unusual experiences into my life today.

No comments: