29 September 2009

Perfectionism or Success?

I was always one of those perfectionists. And because I could never be as perfect as I thought I needed to be, I would freeze in my own fear and never complete anything. It wasn’t until my lovely coach Kristin said to me: COMPLETION matters more than perfection.

This was so liberating to me. I now write it in my daily planner every single day. It has become one of my mantras. This meant that I didn’t have to aim for perfection, that I just needed to aim and wherever it hit, it was better than not aiming at all.

One of our lovely BWP members, Renee, wisely shared this quote with the group:

“You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.” ~ Wayne Gretzky

If one of your stories is that you must get it right 100 percent, then it is time to release that story because that’s all it is. It’s just a story and chances are it isn’t even your story. So wherever you picked it up, say “No thank you,” go give it back and try a new story: COMPLETION matters more than perfection.

“Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. Remember that fear always lurks behind perfectionism. Confronting your fears and allowing yourself the right to be human can, paradoxically, make yourself a happier and more productive person." ~ Dr. David M. Burns

Sign up for Kristin's Morning Mantras ~ daily quotes delivered to your inbox ~ to give you a dose of oomph to get your day started on a positive note. I have been getting the Morning Mantras for at least three years now and I cannot begin my day without them!



Here's to a successful day!
Coach Carolyn

1 comment:

Coach Carolyn said...

Thanks Seb for stopping by. Glad you found me! I will check out your hangout too! Peace, C.