18 August 2010

Silence Brings Strength

Silence is a source of great strength.” ~ Lao Tzu

There is something very healing in silence. When you can step away from the noise and the chatter, you can embrace the calm. One of my readers, Emme, asked if I would speak more to this concept of silence. Thank you, Emme! This is an important topic and one I believe quite neglected in our world today.

Personally, I have been chastised more for being silent than I have for being too talkative. This is the state of the world at present. Years ago, I seriously considered becoming a contemplative nun. I loved the idea of being in silence most of the time. Needless to say, that wasn’t my path but I still maintain my silent moments. As a public speaker, I cherish those moments when I can just be still and know….

As Lao Tzu so wisely said, silence is a source of great strength. I can definitely see that in my daily encounters. There is certainly something very calming in the silence, but also very powerful as well. As I began this week’s topics, I shared about being able to tap into your Inner Divine Wisdom by listening. In order to listen, one must have silence. If you are that person who loves to talk, think about what you are talking about. Just for the moment, STOP, TAKE A BREATH, and ASK:

Is what you are saying necessary and does it need to be heard?

Sometimes we think that just because we have a great thought, everyone else needs to hear it as well.

And most times, no one needs to hear it!

Remember: do not speak unless it improves the silence.

No comments: