28 February 2012

Season of Nonviolence - Day 30

Welcome to Day 30 of the Season of Nonviolence – 64 Days of peaceful wisdom honoring the lives and nonviolent principles of Mohandas Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Cesar Chavez.

Nonviolence begins with learning how to be less violent and more compassionate towards ourselves. We learn by building the courage to speak and act with respect, honor and reverence for our own being.

Eleanor Roosevelt has urged, "You must do the things that you think you cannot do." Practicing these 64 Ways will challenge you to do things that you think you cannot do.



Day 30: MAKING AMENDS

The other side of forgiveness is making amends, when it is you who has been - or needs to be - forgiven for hurt or wrongdoing you may have caused.  As with forgiveness, the gift of making amends - to yourself and to whoever has been hurt or wronged - is revealed when it is given unconditionally from your heart.  What would it be like if world leaders made amends?
 "Making amends may seem like a bitter pill to swallow, but for those serious about recovery it can be great medicine for the spirit and soul."  ~ Step 9 Forgiveness; The Twelve Steps
 
Today:  As I interact with people today, I will reflect on whether there are ways I feel moved to make amends; I will let my heart gently guide me, as I recall each person's unique ways of expressing his or her joys, fears and pains.  I will be open to let my heart speak through words, actions, thoughts or prayers.  I will offer a sincere apology to someone I may have hurt. 


No comments: