13 September 2010

Purpose or Complacency?


This week and next week, I will be addressing some of the questions I have received from the BWP Community in response to my free teleclass coming up on Saturday, September 25th. The teleclass is “What Do You Really Want to Do With Your Life?

If you are a member of the BWP Community, then you have received an invitation to the call.

If you are not a member and want to be, then click here. Remember, women only!

If you just want to attend the call without joining the group, then click here. All are welcome!

I asked for burning questions and issues on this topic and there was no shortage! Love that! As I will not get to all the questions on the call, I want to at least begin the conversation here on the blog. I welcome you to chime in and add to the conversation.

The first question I want to kick this week off with is: “How do I break the cycle of complacency?

I love this question and I know that cycle, all too well! Let’s start at the very beginning… a very good place to start!

Wiktionary defines complacency as a feeling of contented self-satisfaction, especially when unaware of upcoming trouble.

Will Rogers once quipped, “Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.”

Whoa! I love that because it speaks of being satisfied for the moment. Everything is okay right now, so I can just sit back and coax. This is an extremely dangerous place to be. Life is always about movement and forward movement at that. Complacency feels stagnant, albeit content, but stagnant nonetheless. It is so easy to think you are on the right track especially when that track just keeps on rolling day in and day out. But remember the definition, upcoming trouble is on the horizon and you will be caught unawares.

My first line of peaceful defense: STOP, (and I do mean stop!) TAKE A BREATH, and ASK:

Where am I feeling complacent?
Identify where in your life you are feeling complacent – your work life, your family life, your social life, your finances, your health, your leisure time; all of the above!

What is your heart’s desire? 
Determine your heart’s desire for that area of your life. What do you want your work life to look like? Or, your finances?

I have found that if you truly follow your heart’s desire, you have no time for complacency – the universe keeps flowing and so do you. Simply start there. Let’s not make this complicated; because it is not, at least it doesn’t have to be. Just stop and focus on those two key pieces of your authentic self – which you have not accessed if you are in the cycle of complacency. 

Need help on discovering your heart's desire? Check out my mini program, "How To Get Your Heart's Desire."

I welcome your thoughts on this topic. It can get very deep. But I like to be deep while wading on the shallow side!

No comments: